Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
1. How did the Louisiana Purchase affect the size of the country?
A. It stayed basically the same.
B. It was cut in half.
C. It doubled.
D. It quadrupled.
2. How did people bring religion west with them?
A. They practiced quietly at home.
B. Preachers settled towns as people moved west.
C. Itinerant preachers spread their religions.
D. Churches were the first things built in towns.
3. The appeal of the West was that many Americans wanted
4. The religious gatherings that took place during the Second Great Awakening were called _______ meetings.
5. How did Ralph Waldo Emerson impact American society?
A. He created a community united around his religion.
B. He led the transcendentalist movement.
C. He founded New Harmony, Indiana.
D. He wrote Walden.
6. How did the factory system impact towns?
A. Factories had no impact on towns.
B. Factories replaced towns as places to live.
C. Towns grew around factories and specific industries.
D. Towns were replaced by factories.
7. As the party system grew, which group had expanded voting rights?
A. White men
B. Native Americans
C. African Americans
8. Before the US capital was in Washington, DC, where was it?
B. New York City
9. Which state was a part of the Louisiana Purchase?
D. West Virginia
10. _______ sold the Louisiana Territory to Jefferson.
A. The King of England
B. The King of France
C. The Governor of Louisiana
11. Which region was more industrial in the mid-1800s?
A. The Northeast
B. The West
C. The North
D. The South
12. Who designed the District of Columbia?
A. Pierre Charles L’Enfant
B. Meriwether Lewis
C. William Clark
D. Thomas Jefferson
13. Who won the election of 1796?
A. Aaron Burr
B. Thomas Jefferson
C. John Adams
D. Alexander Hamilton
14. What role did John Marshall serve in the new government?
A. Head of Congress
C. Chief Justice
D. Vice president
15. Who constructed railroads?
A. National governments
B. Private investors
C. Native American tribes
D. State governments
16. How did John Quincy Adams treat Native Americans?
A. He made peace with many Native American nations.
B. He forced them to go on the Trail of Tears.
C. He overturned a treaty that was signed unfairly.
D. He formed many reservations for Native Americans to move to.
17. Jefferson’s more liberal view of expanding rights for all Americans was most favored by what region of the country?
D. Western Territory
18. What did George Stephenson invent?
A. The cotton gin
B. The steam locomotive
C. The sewing machine
D. The telegraph
19. Which government entity did Jackson challenge as president?
A. The National Bank
B. The vice presidency
D. The Supreme Court
20. The Treaty of _______ ended the war of 1812.